For 34 years, MECA programs have been nationally recognized for producing talented and productive student artists. Such recognition includes being designated a Point of Light by President George H. W. Bush and being named a four-time semi-finalist for the President’s Committee on the Arts and Humanities Coming Up Taller Award.
Recent accomplishments include:
- 2011 Ballet Folklorico ensembles win 16 awards at Dallas regional competitio
- Mexican Ballet Folklorico Director Julio Lo pez featured in La Voz de Houston
- MECA alumna Vanessa Alonzo and MECA faculty member Saul Avalos were cast in the Houston Grand Opera’s production of Cruzar La Cara de la Luna.
- Mariachi MECA opening for world-famous Mariachi Vargas de Tecalitlán
- 2009 Mariachi MECA named an American Masterpieces Touring Ensemble for the Arts by the National Endowment for the Arts
- 2008 Heineken Green Ribbon Initiative Award honoring adult class performances
- Mariachi MECA international tours to Ireland, Vietnam, and Norway
- 2007 Award of Merit - American Institute of Architects